Monday, January 6, 2014

Wrangell - St. Elias: A Song of Ice and Copper

My adventure through the backcountry of Wrangell St. Elias continues. The days were long and made longer by the harsh and bitterly cold rain that accompanied them. Fortunately my teeth were already cut and reforged by the unforgiving weather that the Parks have already shown me. This remote landscape was but a further test. I suppose the primary difference was that I was sleeping no more than five feet away from a earth-carving icemass.

Curiosity getting the better of me, I was tempted by the alluringly rare opportunity of being SO close to a glacier that I set forth to try and walk out onto it. Not having my crampons I quickly concluded that I was not going to make it very far onto the icefield since it immediately started to incline in all walkable directions. Hmmm I'd either need to find some crampons or McGyver some ice-hugging shoes if I'd want to explore any further. It was a long day of exploration, across some pretty harried terrain (you'll see what I mean) so this glacial adventure would have to be further put off...

I don't know if anyone actually listens to the music I choose but I think this choice is one of my more fitting selections.



If you didn't hit play...go back up and DO IT!

Water rocks! Wait...

Mini pines!
 
If memory serves me well...I think this is called Fire Weed


Never a dull view from my tent door


As I was doing some light reading, I came across this quote...I thought it fitting

Peering out onto the glacier. Its hard to tell but its an incline of ice...nearly impossible to ascend more than a few feet

My first steps onto the glacier!

Every post I seem to have one particularly favorite picture...this might be it for this one. Glacial water!

The glacier was covered in this cracks of deep blue

Argh! If only I could climb higher to see what lies beyond!

Two sides of the glacier...uncovered and covered ice

My retreat

No trails...just barren remoteness.

And the occasional enormous boulder!


Did I mention this Park was the size of Vermont and New Hampshire put together?!


100s of miles have been trekked in those boots and countless times that cover has kept my gear dry...ish


Sunset lasts FOREVER here!






CHEESE!

No comments:

Post a Comment