Thursday, March 21, 2013

Winter Is....Leaving?

The other weekend I was supposed to go down and visit my best good friend Jack Bauer in the great Southern state of Georgia. Things didn't quite pan out that way so I decided to take advantage of what was probably going to be the last of the winter season. Without much hesitation I loaded up the Kodiak with my still virgin Alpine Touring Skiis, boots, etc and headed due North. Destination: Ski Liberty!


As you can see I was sporting all the lastest in men's skiing fashion. Well that is if you ask Elmer Fudd, who, lets face it, is a total stud muffin. Before I continue, here's a special thanks to the folks at the DC Ski Center...they know their stuff backwards and forwards. After mentioning the Walkabout to them, they totally hooked me up with all the gear I would need to get around the Park's backcountry on skis...whether on an alpine or crosscountry course.


Anywhoo....back to Ski Liberty. So I arrived at the slopes and was anxious to take the gear out on its inaugural flight down the mountain. It was the first time in 8-10 years that I buckled my boots into two 5 feet planks of wood/metal, and the excitement on my face showed (reference the s**t eating grin on my face above). It was GAME TIME! After a few warm up runs I was ready to step it up. Not more than 20 minutes and 3 lift rides later, I was cutting through the intermediate/advanced slopes like a hot knife through butter. Maybe it was like riding a bicycle or maybe it was the James Bond theme song playing on repeat through my head that kept my (self-proclaimed) badass-self from eating it. Regardless, the once forgotten rush was ever presently addicting and for the first time this Winter, I wished Spring would hold off just a little longer. But alas, all good things must end and this adrenaline-pumping experience was no exception. To compliment the events of the sunrise that morning, as the sun set on Liberty Mountain I loaded up the Kodiak and followed my breadcrumbs back to Alexandria. 

While no one was there to join me on the slopes, the only existing evidence that proved it all happened was the tender leg muscles that would serve as a constant reminder for days to follow.



And now for your moment of shameless Calvin Klein-ad style Zen......


1 comment:

  1. More leg workouts, Blindstone! You're not going to make it a full year in the backwater if one measley day of skiing makes your Calvin Klein legs turn to mush. Haha.

    ReplyDelete