Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Isle Royale National Park: Day 2 - Trailblazin' and Rainin'

Day 2: Lake Desor - West Chickenbone Lake

Wow. This portion of the hike nearly got the best of me. Throughout the first and second halves of the trail I was seriously considering cutting the hike short. Rough terrain, slim water sources, miles and miles of never-ending trails, rain, and loneliness were not in my favor. But it was at Hatchet Lake that my morale improved when I stumbled upon Don and Andy, friends who I had the pleasure of getting to know at each stop along the trail. Their confidence gave me the boost I NEEDED in order to press through to West Chickenbone. This blog will hardly highlight the impact those guys had on this excursion for me. In fact this blog barely will allow me to share much of any of my experiences. Not that it couldn't but my time between parks is plentiful enough to really only let me upload and post pictures (which also barely do these excursions justice and only show a fraction of the sights seen). But I'm tryin'! Phew!

The accounts of these trips are being well documented in writing but in ink they will stay until I have time to share more of the written stories.

Oh also!...the three National Park Service guys you see below are the ONLY members of the island's trail crew....the ONLY THREE dudes who are responsible for clearing the trails. Damn you Sequestraion!


















Sandhill Crane...was NOT happy to see me.




Base Camp Night 2


No comments:

Post a Comment