Thursday, January 17, 2013

On Belay!

So yeah, yesterday I signed up for a membership with Sport Rock, a local climbing facility near my apartment...great routes, great facility, good people, nice strangers. Spent the day there with a good buddy of mine, Lord Dominic. We conquered some pretty nefarious routes and were defeated by others. It was both of our first times going climbing in a while...Dom schooled me but I held my own for a while.

Luckily for me, Dom works at a ropes course and is a master of the twine. He went over the basic climbing knots (which I forgot about 4 years ago) with me before we arrived and we were able to SMOKE the belay test with flying colors.

 My hands are sufficiently shredded today and came to the quick and harsh realization that my grip strength needs improving.

 So second to having re-learned a valuable skill, yesterday provided a perfect opportunity to test out some of the new equipment. To be brief...it all worked GREAT. In the very near future (tomorrow?) I will start posting individual reviews of each piece of gear but for now, enjoy a slide show displaying most of the climbing gear that will be brought along the Walkabout.





No comments:

Post a Comment