Friday, December 6, 2013

Alaska Railroad: The Gold Star

Packed up my gear early in the morning and rushed to the train depot to hopefully pick up a ticket. No plans. No known destination. No guarantees. I figured I'd head south and figure out where I'd be going from there. Hitchhiking from the park was uncertain but you know what's always on time? The Train!

Plus riding on the Alaska Railroad is surely an adventure it and of itself. What if I never come back to Alaska...here was my opportunity to ride its famous railroad. No chance I'm going to write in my journal about how I lost this opportunity. Uh uh!

In the interest of time and so that you have something to read about later on (ahem) I'll strip away much of the detail here. Like how the views from the train were like watching a moving masterpiece flash hastily across your wonder-glazed eyes. Or how I made instant friends with Randy and Kate as they were aboard the train towards Anchorage and eventually Juneau to become husband and wife. Or even how one kind man who was a complete stranger offered to buy me lunch for no reason other than him being a nice guy. Random acts of kindness...hmm....maybe I need to bring this northern epidemic back east with me.

I do want to stress here the great time I had getting to know Randy and Kate. Randy and I would share toasts on the back of the glass enclosed box car with our favorite spirits and talk about life and the thrill of adventure...how something as simple as walking can transform an ordinary day into an unforgettable adventure. Those who can, and don't, get up and go out there front door are missing the point. Not preaching...just speculating. Randy was an extraordinary man. A true pleasure to talk to. A bard of conversation. Best wishes to Randy and Kate and their long life together. God bless!

Anywho, sparing you of the details, the train made it to Anchorage on time despite having major delays after a sizeable earthquake left some of the track in a questionable state. Hell this is Alaska...we're not gonna let a busted rail stop us! I bet if it were worse, everyone would have gotten out and lifted the train across. Tough as nails.

Well without further adieu...

Oh right...if anyone has any questions or comments, feel free to leave them at the bottom of the page...or wherever the comment section is. You probably know better than me.





Our Steel Steed


Section B: Basically my version of Platform 9 3/4

Due to an earthquake the conductor had to get out to make sure the bridge wouldn't collapse if we rode over it...


So far so good...





...or else!





Zoom Zoom

Ok yes, I caved and ordered something that was NOT peanut butter or tuna


What are these contraptions?!

Time out...

Well that was close...



I didn't notice the roof until now...the Alaskan flag.


Gotta get in at least one selfie



I'm in a glass case of emotion!

I'm glad we have colors...generally speaking.



Ominous lake..

Cool reflections and such

Next stop...Mt. Doom


Somewhere over the rainbow

'Merica


Must be a power cake in that box

Whatchu talkin' bout, Willis?

Conductor? Or Superman?

INCOMING!

Touron Steeds


Yeah...so we had to make up for lost time. And this is what that looks like.

Awww

1 comment:

  1. Blindstone, your pictures are way awesome.

    ReplyDelete