Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Wrangell - St. Elias: The Long and Winding Road

My approach to Wrangell - St. Elias (WES) National Park was as treacherous and lengthy as promised. Driving on the McCarthy Road, hell even LOOKING at the McCarthy Road was an adventure in itself! Its a miracle that the green Jeep I was loaned did not crumble to pieces. Picture this...60 miles of unpaved road. Ok I know that doesn't sound too intense but I'm not talking your run of the mill, Lower 48 unpaved road. This was 60 Miles of deep and continuous potholes. POTHOLES! Not even for a stretch of 3-feet was there a break in these potholes. No wonder nobody but this ONE guy would loan me a vehicle. The McCarthy Road was the final 60 mile leg of an already multi-hundred mile cruise through some of the most breathtaking landscapes.

I forgot to mention...before I even got to THE road. The car broke down on me. Luck would have it that I was nearly stopped at a convenient store. This particular convenient store was the only hint of civilization for MILES...and it was run by a man that quite literally looked like I caught him mid-transformation between man and black bear! Banging on the engine a few times got the car going again but the Bear/man gave me a quart of oil JUST in case I broke down...because there was not a chance in hell someone was going to come for me on the McCarthy Road...the forsaken Road God forgot.

Real quick...I also just want to mention the exceptionally nice Ranger that I met prior to heading out onto the fateful and infamous road ahead of me. We chatted for an hour while I filled up my water and mapped out my course through the WES backcountry. Very helpful and sweet lady, who in her younger years was a kindred adventure-seeker..

Sadly her help was moot by the time I got to the end of the road. The road ends at a footbridge and no cars are henceforth allowed. Arriving very late, and under the blinding darkness of moonless sky, I was left with no choice but to "sleep" for a couple of hours in the car that I would essentially abandon shortly after.

And thus begins the Wrangell - St. Elias portion of my tale...the United States' least visited and most remote National Park...



This is what an Alaska forest looks like...

Oh good! I found Mars!

I don't know, Montana. You might have some "Big Sky" competition!




One mountain...so many colors


Couldn't resist to stop and smell the flowers

Even the alien looking ones

Stood up from smelling the flowers and...BAM!

Yeah seriously, Montana...watch yo back!

I'm in love



So sparse!


Just wait, Beard. You get MUCH worse! It was so young back then!


See my VERY articulate and detailed description below to find out more about this historical bridge on the McCarthy Road

...and the Oscar goes to!

Hopefully this picture makes up for the mess above it.

No comments:

Post a Comment