Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Denali: ...The Farthest from Home I've Ever Been

Echoing the immortalized words of Samwise Gamgee..."If I take one more step, it'll be the farthest from home I've ever been" I disembarked from the M/V Ketchikan and continued on out into unfamiliar territory. By the end of the day I'll have never before been this far from home.

Two days prior I met two sisters on their way to Alaska for the first time. It was big boat but reputations and stories often preceded introductions. Through them, I was introduced to a man named Randy who, with his sister Gillian, were preparing to set out on a sort of family history pilgrimage that would eventually take them through northeastern Alaska. Their first stop on their journey would be through Denali National Park. One of the parks cemented on my list. Until this brief 5-minute encounter, I was planning on renting a car to head out to Seward, Alaska first and visit Kenai Fjords. However, by chance, Randy was going to check with his sister to see if it would be ok if I tagged along with them for the ride to Denali! Initially I felt bad because I sensed he was pressed into that position by the two sisters. But when he came back with the news that they would have a free seat for me, I was overwhelmed by joy! I hadn't even gotten off the boat yet, and I was already shocked by the generosity offered by Alaska.

The great thing about living out of a backpack is that you are granted the ability to change your plans entirely in less than 5 minutes and take a 200+ mile detour when the opportunity for adventure calls.

Once Randy and Gillian settled the score with the Avis goons we had our steed, said farewell to the Alaskan coast, and were bound for Alaska's harsh and unforgiving interior. Our first obstacle would be navigating through the soulless cavern of a tunnel that made Whittier accessible to the rest of Alaska. Prepared for the walls to cave in on us at any minute, the three of us were stunned by the ruggedness of the tunnel. A tunnel that drivers had to share...with a TRAIN. What better way to usher us into the Alaskan heartland?

Where were the mountains? The glaciers? The trees? The same foggy cloudiness that hampered everyone's view in Whittier had wrapped its mask two hundred miles inland. I like to think it was a closed curtain that was designed to build the anticipation for one of the greatest and most spectacular natural shows I'll ever see. *Spoiler alert - IT WAS*

I forgot to mention...while the three of us waited for the tunnel to open, we took the time to get to know each other a little better. I didn't want to be just a bum hitchhiker, I wanted to get to know them. Turns out Randy and Gillian grew up (at least partially) in the same town as my parents. WHAAAAT!? I go to the other end of this country and run into genealogical neighbors! Small-world syndrome at its most unlikely!

With a quick lunch break at the Moose's Tooth and stop at Fred Myer (think Wal-Mart) to pick up provisions and ammo, we had nothing left to stop us from reaching Denali. The clouds lifted enough to unveil the sparse tundra forests (proper terminology is a little fuzzy since middle school physical geography class). Beautiful. Forest unlike anything I've seen at home.

By 5ish we reached the gates to Denali. My two travel companions were not staying IN the park tonight but were super kind to have dropped me off at a campground so I could make camp by nightfall. The three of us had grown closer in just our 6 hour car ride. We exchanged information and I hope that they will continue to follow the journey as it progresses...hopefully. We hugged it out and then we parted ways to go on our own separate adventures. Thank you Randy and Gillian. I don't know what I would have done without you! Who knows...I may still be at the Whittier docks if it weren't for you guys. God Bless!



Would you believe me if I told you a train was barreling down the opposite direction?

This side of the mountain: Whittier

This side of the tunnel: The Rest of Alaska

Angel, this one is in your honor.

This is what a hitchhiker looks like
 
Clean plate club at the Moose's Tooth

When a road closes in Alaska you need a pilot car to guide you...

So bummed this picture failed...the moment however totally WON!

Is this the extra life kind or maybe the growing kind


YOU SHALL NOT PASS! Off screen is actually a Balrog...

Yup, green is still my favorite color

I have it written down...I can't remember what this river is named but we stopped and hopped out for a look

Ah this turned out much better. I present Randy and Gillian. Brother and sister on a family quest.

Alaska-style forest.

I THINK this is called Fireweed or something like that...just on the side of the road


Ranger briefing before they set me loose to hunt wolves...no...thats not true but it is a presentation on the very small wolf population in Denali. I wonder if I'd see one...

1 comment:

  1. Seward was beautiful, but I wish now I'd gone to Denali. Maybe on my next trip!

    And I was hoping that wolves were protected up there... :(

    ReplyDelete