Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Alaska Marine Highway: Bon Voyage

     Well without further adieu, I give to you the next step of the journey. Well not so much a step as it is more of a glide. August 17th! A day I will henceforth ne'er forget as the day I set out on a voyage to Alaska...The Final Frontier. A moniker that would prove to be more true than I could have ever anticipated.

     I'll keep this short. I boarded the M/V Kennicott from Bellingham, Washington. I was lucky enough to be able to meet a friend of a friend the day before who was generous enough to allow me to stow the Kodiak safely in his driveway for over a MONTH. Yes. That's right. A kind man named Hans agreed to allow me to leave my clunky rig in his driveway for over a month before evening knowing me for five minutes. Come on east coast...take a page out of the Generosity Book that Hans clearly has checked out.

     Before I knew it, I was on board. I met a few folks waiting in line. All getting ready to set forth on their own Alaskan adventure...no matter how tame or wild they may be. On board I ran into a gentleman who was equally lost as I was. He looked like he could use a break so I offered to carry his bags up and down the stairs while we looked for a place to stow our gear. His name was Gene. Gene'o to his friends. Carrying that man's luggage was a favor that would eventually repay itself one hundred fold in tales, kindness, and friendship...

     If this ever does become a book, Good ol' Gene'o is getting a chapter...no, two chapters....hell this guy is getting a separate appendix dedicated to him and his stories. For starters, this was far from his first trip to Alaska nor will it be his last. We spent what was left of the day setting up our "beds." He opted to sleep inside the heated aft observation deck while I was more suited for sleeping outside. A cold but enjoyable decision.

Gene'o was a pro at this ferry business and handed down many insider secrets. But the day's stories were matched when Gene'o would open up about his days as a bus driver at NASA's Kennedy Space Center. I would have killed to have a bus driver like this man on ANY tour I've EVER been on. Sure he's Italian and all but there is no doubt in my mind this guy vacationed at Blarney Castle at some point in his life...the gift of gab was coursing through this traveler's veins.

     Oh right...the ferry ride wasn't so bad either...smooth as butter out on the Inside Passage. Smoooooooooth. Lets hope it stayed that way when we hit opens waters. But for the time being, I just sit back, took off my backpack, and enjoyed the sun.

P.S. These pics are done no justice on a phone. On a computer you should also click on the pictures...makes them a bigger and more enjoyable view. Unless you hate them...then don't do this.

Grandpa's Sweater...my shield...too heavy and too warm for the trip but a picture came along.

Hans' daughter Anna

Hans and Anna...teamwork makes the dream work

My ocean-faring steed
Gross picture...amazing food.

GENE'O


Sandals in Alaska? Really?




Bon Voyage!

Well theres one thing we have in common...

So long, Bellingham.

Psssh!




Yeah...I'll never complain about anything ever ever again...



Not a bad view from the front...





1 comment:

  1. Like I was right there with you and Gene'o. (Dig his get-up: KSC ball cap, Hawaiian shirt and the ubiquitous toothpick! Excellent choice for an Alaskan cruise. "Yeah. You blend.")
    What a stroke of luck for both of you. What a joy it has been to share the journey with you. Fare thee well our homeless friend!

    ReplyDelete