Monday, October 7, 2013

North Cascades: A Detour Through Seattle

Well as I said before, the road to the North Cascades was closed because of a massive landslide. I wasn't going to skip the park so I had to consider other options. I knew I had to go either North or South AROUND the park. Well North would put me through Canada, and without a passport, I was left with little choice but to venture southbound.

Halfway through this six hour detour I saw signs for Seattle. Hmm. I knew I would eventually go to Seattle but I hadn't planned on it until after coming back from Alaska. Oh hell! Lets go! I knew my family friend and "once-upon a time" babysitter was now a Seattle-ite. Per my newly adopted modus operandi...my entire plan changed on a dime...

I called up Kate and within moments, I threw her and my plans for the day into a tumble. I was now going to Seattle-bound. I seriously thank her and her husband, and son, Slaed and Bergen, for being able to host me for the night. Their flexibility is hugely appreciated!

Backstory time! About a year ago, the day after a narsty breakup, I was about 8 beers in by noon and decided to scroll threw the annals of Netflix. I stumbbled upon a show called Frasier. Well a year and 11 seasons later, I was now going to be traveling through Seattle - the setting for that show! Was I excited? Yes! I immediately started researching where the coffee shop was that Frasier and his brochacho, Niles, would enjoy their daily ritualistic cup o' Joe. The Elliot Bay Cafe! Ok so its not exactly the same location that inspired the shows scene - it has since moved to its current location. That was close enough for me!

Seattle coffee, while wearing flannel? Check! No, I'm not stuck in the 90's. Why?

Later I met up with Kate, Slaed, and Bergen. They showed me around a great part of the city, strolled through Seattle University (man I miss college), and we grabbed a huge stein of beer...well Bergen (2 years old) did not. It was great to catch up with them and to see their awesome pad in Seattle. Not to mention...the shower! It may as well have been sweet ambrosia coming from the shower head. I was CLEAN! And not "dunk my head in a river" clean.

What a cool town. Would I be back? Stay tuned!


This was a surprise first thing in the morning.






Shhh! Don't tell...



This town had a ordinance that EVERY building had to be designed in this Bavarian style architecture. Kinda cool.




I like to think I sat where Frasier and Niles would have sat. If only Daphne would have walked in...


Pinky up, Mike! Have you learned NOTHING in the wilderness!?

Bergen, Slaed, Kate - Check out the Beer stein! See?!


1 comment:

  1. We're famous! Love it. I'm so glad we got to catch up! Man, I've been thinking of you, and the horrible shutdown. Northern California is not a bad place to be though...Safe Travels Wild Man! -Kate

    ReplyDelete