Thursday, October 10, 2013

North Cascades: Shields Down, Beers Up

My time at the North Cascades had come to an end. If I wasn't pressed to catch a ferry to Alaska the next day, I would have easily caved to my own self-convincing and stayed in "America's Alps" for a few more days. My hands were tied...I had to reset my bearings North and even further West. I needed to mentally prepare myself to travel to a point where eventually "one more step and it'd be the farthest from home I've ever been."

But still there was the matter of the task at hand...ascending back to the Cascade Pass, back down through the treeline, and once again down the the asphalt laden mountain. Michael took a head start on account of his Ripley's Believe it or Not size blisters. Eventually the three of us reconvened at the pass. Michael once again took point. Moments later, however, Fern's watchful eye spotted a black bear just ahead and on the scree field below where Michael was walking. A pretty sizable black bear for that matter. Hell if I had all these saccharine delicious blueberries to nom on all day I'd be big and fat too.

Second bear sighting of the Walkabout...and both within a fear days of one another. Majestic beasts they are, but dangerous if the situations warrants it. We gave this bear no reason to become agitated so it continued to make its way down the scree field towards the lower glaciers.

From there on we were Scott free to enter back into the treeline and cruise through familiar woods. Of course the smooth switchbacks had to end eventually and we were once again met with our greatest foe...asphalt. Three miles of it and almost San Francisco-an in grade. Our spirits were however very high. The mid-day sun allowed for our clothes to dry out a little bit.

On this very Wizard of Oz -like hike, Michael welcomed me into the "hive." Meaning, I was officially a Bumbleabout.net Bumbler! The highest honor bestowed on me during my Walkabout. I became the adventure blogger for the company and would bring the Bumbleabout Bear with me on my quest.

Our final stop before parting ways was in a town called Arlington, of all places. Arlington, Washington State. We stopped at a local watering hole and met some of the craziest characters you could imagine. Evidently we were not the only ones who thought day drinking was a good idea...and we were getting a late start by comparison. *Please consult last picture

The Bumblers parted ways on the streets of Arlington but we all knew it would not be the last time we would see each other...

I'll end with this...remember how I said those mountains shielded me from haunting thoughts? The weirdest thing...as I was descending from my lofty perch among the rocky sentinels, I could feel the concerns of the mind return. Not fully...but still. There was a magic in those mountains. Maybe its like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. You can feel safe and live forever with a restful mind among the stone giants but once you pass the seal (Cascade Pass) then the magic wears off a bit. You can't take the grail with you!

...If only we could have ridden off into the sunset with Sean Connery....Next time.

Farewell to Cascade Pass

Da bears da bears da bears da bears da bears!


The Winnie the Pooh you don't want to hang out with

View from the other side of the pass

The scree field of death


Looking up the scree field







Oh right...those are glaciers....meaning they are ALWAYS there

More up close and personal with the glacier



How do you get up there...

Out of the frying pan and into the oven...back in the treeline



Just enjoy the next three pictures...it was THAT beautiful




Into the woods...
Fare thee well mountain pass


Bumblers bumbling



One of seemingly hundreds of switchbacks




Temperature changed pretty dramatically...this fleece didn't last too long





THIS is why those 3 miles of asphalt had to be hiked....not driving over landslides apparently

Old abandoned shelter we stumbled upon



"We are sitting on the field of victory, enjoying a few well-earned comforts."

...Continued

Yeah...Arlington...I'm not sure I can clearly explain to you what the three of us witnessed in this bar...this woman is not safe for the internet

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures, gorgeous landscape! Correction -> bumbleabout.NET

    - Oregon Caves Bear Bait Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, this journey is just amazing. I keep setting your pics as my desktop background at work, but the problem is that every time I do, I come across ANOTHER of your pictures I like even better. Lots of changing. I gotta be honest, I was pretty skeptical of how this whole trip was going to go for you, but I'm really happy to see you doing so well and seeing so many awesome places. When the time comes, say 'hi' to my two former homes, the Gran Canyon and the Everglades. Thanks for blogging this. While you may have left the rage cage behind, those of us who remain appreciate the chance to live the Walkabout vicariously! (aka, we're cyber stalking you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bear Bait Ben! Thank you for the correction, I went back right away and changed it. Some Bumbler I am.

    DENARD! As I live and breathe...for now...Man its good to hear from you buddy. Hope you and the fam are well adjusted to your new home. Dude I am so glad to hear that these pictures are well received. I know a lot of them look the same as the next one but they each were taken for a reason. Which one have you selected for your new screensaver? I'll try to take more like that one. I will be sure to give the 'Glades and the Canyon your kindest regards.
    While the government is shut down my park access is kaput but I'm finding alternative adventures. I'll be climbing some mountains around Lake Tahoe for the next few days. But once I have some more time, I'll be getting to the Alaska pictures....so prepare for some screensaver/background swappage.

    Really good to hear from you guys and thanks!

    ReplyDelete